Current News

/

ArcaMax

NYPD grills commanders in investigation of handling of Park East Synagogue protest

Graham Rayman and Chris Sommerfeldt, New York Daily News on

Published in News & Features

NEW YORK — The NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau has been interviewing Manhattan North commanders in connection with a pro-Palestinian protest at Park East Synagogue last week that sparked outrage and questions about the department’s response, The New York Daily News has learned.

IAB Group 1, which handles investigations of captains and above, has conducted official interviews with Chief of Manhattan North Ruel Stephenson, his executive officer Eric Pagan, a deputy chief, Inspector Andrew Natiw, the borough’s operations commander, and Noreen Lazarus, the commander of the 19th Precinct where the protest took place, multiple police sources confirmed.

The investigation has focused on who from the borough command should have responded to oversee the scene, in addition to questions about whether the protesters were allowed to get too close to the entrance to the house of worship, the sources said.

The NYPD declined comment. The Captains Endowment Association, which represents captains and above, did not respond to a requests for comment.

What has exploded into a highly charged political controversy began Nov. 19 when protesters deployed outside the historic Park East Synagogue on E. 67th St. near 3rd Ave., as prominent Jewish New Yorkers, including New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, were gathered inside.

A group called Nefesh B’Nefesh was conducting an event inside. The nonprofit promotes immigration to Israel by Jewish Americans and Canadians. But it has attracted criticism for fostering immigration to parts of the West Bank whose status is under debate and where settlement by Israel is considered by some illegal under international law.

The protesters were caught on camera chanting “Intifada,” “Death to the IDF” and “Resistance, Take Another Settler Out.” A flyer distributed during the protest stated, “No settlers on stolen land.” Counter-demonstrators shouted epithets at them.

The incident became a political firestorm.

Outgoing Mayor Eric Adams, who was on a trip to Israel and Uzbekistan when the protest played out, posted a tweet condemning it as “totally unacceptable” and questioned the police handling of the incident. Adams privately expressed his displeasure to Tisch for insufficient policing of the event, a source with direct knowledge of the conversation said.

 

“He was very mad, honestly the most mad I’ve ever seen him with her,” the source said. “I’m sure that partially contributed to the apology.”

The administration’s dissatisfaction with the NYPD was also expressed by First Deputy Mayor Randy Mastro, who went on conservative supermarket mogul John Catsimatidis’ radio show to bash the NYPD’s handling of the event. “They never should have been that close (to the entrance), never should have gotten to that stage,” he said of the protesters.

Mayor-elect Zohran Mamdani issued a statement“discouraging” language used by the protesters, but also criticized the synagogue for using “sacred spaces to promote activities in violation of international law.”

Last Saturday, Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch, who has been retained by Mamdani, visited the synagogue’s Shabbat services and apologized for the NYPD allowing the protesters to get too close to the entrance.

“People have the right to protest, including within sight and sound of a house of worship. They have the right to say things that are incredibly painful to hear. I understand that pain, deeply and personally,” Tisch said. “But the right to say those things is protected by the First Amendment, and the NYPD must uphold that right.

“Our other job that night was to ensure that people could easily enter and leave shul. That is where we fell short. And for that, I apologize to this congregation.”

When asked about the NYPD Internal Affairs investigation into the protest, Fabien Levy, a spokesman for Adams, said this weekend that the local police commander’s response to the Nov. 19 demonstration “did not meet expectations.”

“The city deeply apologizes to congregants of Park East, as well as anyone with a conscience who witnessed this despicable behavior, and as long as Mayor Adams is serving this city, he is committed to never allowing the desecration of our houses of worship,” Levy said.


©2025 New York Daily News. Visit at nydailynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus