Entertainment

/

ArcaMax

Blake Lively claims Justin Baldoni is trying to silence sexual harassment victims

Jami Ganz, New York Daily News on

Published in Entertainment News

NEW YORK — Blake Lively insists Justin Baldoni is trying to silence her — and all other sexual harassment victims — by asking a judge to deny her motion to dismiss his defamation lawsuit against her.

Lively, 37, filed the motion last month in attempt to toss Baldoni’s $400 million suit, which accuses the “Gossip Girl” alum, her husband Ryan Reynolds and publicist Leslie Sloane of defamation and civil extortion. Lively claimed the lawsuit suit was filed in revenge for her earlier complaint accusing him of sexual harassment and retaliation — saying it violates the law and has no place in court.

On Thursday, lawyers for Baldoni filed new documents requesting the judge reject Lively’s motion to dismiss, accusing her of trying to infringe on his legal right to defend himself against her own her campaign “designed to ruin” his career, according to TMZ.

“Ms. Lively and her circle of Hollywood elites cannot prevent my clients from exercising their constitutional right to petition the court to clear their names from her false and harmful claims,” his attorney, Bryan Freedman, told the outlet. “What Ms. Lively is attempting to do is to set a dangerous precedent by barring the courthouse doors to my clients and punishing them for having their day in court, a right protected by the First Amendment.”

In response, Lively’s legal team said she’s the one whose rights would be squandered if the judge sides with Baldoni.

“That’s right: Justin Baldoni, the man who has built his brand on supposedly speaking up for victims, believes that the First Amendment rights of victims of sexual assault and harassment to speak out should give way to the rights of perpetrators to sue their victims ‘into oblivion,'” Lively’s lawyers, Mike Gottlieb and Esra Hudson, said in a statement sent to the Daily News.

“These defendants are so hell bent on trying to destroy Blake Lively that they are willing to shred a law designed to protect all victims,” her team continued.

 

The legal saga started in December when Lively filed her lawsuit against Baldoni, her director and co-star of “It Ends With Us.” In addition to sexual harassment on the set, she accused him of orchestrating a smear campaign to destroy her reputation and stop her from going public with her claims.

Her lawsuit coincided with an explosive New York Times report diving into Baldoni’s alleged attempt to “bury” Lively.

Days after the report was published, Baldoni accused the Times of libel in a $250 million lawsuit, claiming the outlet “‘cherry-picked’ and altered communications stripped of necessary context and deliberately spliced to mislead.”

He followed that up with his defamation lawsuit against Lively, Reynolds and Sloane — all of whom have filed motions to dismiss.

In his latest court documents, Baldoni says there’s “sufficient evidence that [Lively] took a responsible part in publishing each of the allegedly defamatory statements [in the Times] by approving or authorizing them prior to publication.”

A decision on the dismissals has yet to be made. The dueling lawsuits are currently slated to head to trial next March.


©2025 New York Daily News. Visit nydailynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus